Niagara's Earliest Bridges
The history of bridge building in Niagara Falls goes back to the mid 1850’s when it was noted that a suitable means of traveling back and forth between the two countries was needed. Before this travelers could cross via small boats, which would be reached by a ladder or a crude set of stairs that descended down the gorge.
Eventually a ferry service was employed to take people back and forth but this too was time consuming and did not allow for the travel of goods or horses. In 1846 the first bridge company was organized and in 1848 The Niagara Falls Suspension Bridge Company was incorporated and the first bridge to span the United States and Canada was completed and officially opened on August 1, 1848.